Used in HerbalHim/ HerbalHer
A small flowering shrub first used by the Maya civilization and now grown extensively in South America. Damiana is a centuries-old aphrodisiac, anti-depressant, antiseptic and diuretic therapy.
Damiana's demonstrated and wide-reaching applications for general and sexual health can be attributed to the plant's many active ingredients such asflavonoids, resins and tannin.
A yellow-flowering plant emitting an oil fragrance similar to chamomile, of which the dried leaves and stems are utilized for therapeutic tea, tonics and liquor preparations.
Other possible names for damiana
Turnera Diffusa Aphrodisiaca
- Nervous system tonic - treatment for nervous exhaustion, anxiety, depression and a good general mood enhancer
- Gastro-intestinal tonic - alleviates constipation, aids weight loss. Research conclusions from the Charlottenlund Medical Centre (in Denmark), indicate that Damiana slows down and improves stomach digestion, helping prevent over-eating and consequent indigestion (Andersen T, Fogh J. J Hum Nutr Diet. 2001 Jun;14(3):243-50).
- Stimulates the genito-urinary tract, aids with infections and is kidney cleansing.
- Relieves symptoms of respiratory conditions.
- Libido enhancer for men and women
- Men - acts in a similar way to Viagra (without the unpleasant side effects) by relaxing the small muscles within the artery walls of the penis, allowing greater blood flow and stronger more frequent erections. A study conducted by the Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, University of Buenos Aires, concluded that Damiana, relaxed the arteries of the penis by an average of 90 per cent, whereas Viagra achieved around a 46 per cent level of relaxation (Phytomedicine. 2003 Nov; 10(8):669-74).
- Women - a study of 77 women conducted by the School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, reported significant improvements in sexual desire, vaginal lubrication, frequency and strength of orgasms, and increased clitoral arousal (Ito TY, Trant AS, Polan ML. J Sex Marital Ther. 2001 Oct-Dec; 27(5):541-9).
- General reproductive tonic - alleviates inflamed prostate, helps prevent premature ejaculation and treats symptoms of premenstrual syndrome, menstruation and menopause.
Southern North America to South America.
Safety and cautions
No known hazards.